Thursday, December 10, 2009

when life gives you lemons . . .

One of the best things I have gotten to do since moving to this part of the world is a class I took through our local county extension office. Upon the completion of the course, which covers canning, drying, and freezing foods among other things one becomes a "master food preserver". The title seems a bit grand, but the skills you learn are both practical and fun! Plus they have helped me take care of Christmas presents early for the last couple of years. During the summer, when there is time on my hands I can make something that will be a welcome gift come winter. A taste of summer berries in jam, spicy apples and pears in yummy butters, and this year some homemade hooch! It takes a few months for everything to meld together, so you do have to plan ahead, but this summer I started some lemon and cherry liquours.

Another fun part of this is scouring the second hand stores for fun bottles - luckily one of our local shops carries corks in all sizes! This weekend was the long awaited bottling of the limoncello - it is yummy! And I was quite pleased with how the bottles looked with some wax over the corks, a bit of jute and a homemade label. Now I just have to bottle the cherry vodka (made from local cherries we picked ourselves!) so that gift giving can commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment