Thursday, November 12, 2009

meltdowns


I have a two-year-old niece (who by the way I believe to be just about as close to perfect as a person can be). This is one of those pictures she may resent me having someday, as it was taken when she was throwing a fit about something while the rest of us tried not to laugh at the pitiful face and big, crocodile tears of what was either a plea for what felt like a big injustice OR was actually a last ditch effort to get some attention before breakfast was over! The thing of it is, that while it is hard for me to keep a straight face when our newest little drama queen turns on the waterworks because she has to do something completely UNFAIR like, you know, NOT throw things in a restaurant (seriously, how does my sister keep from laughing out loud when she gets the puppy dog eye treatment from her?), often I really do empathize with the two-year-old.

Sometimes life just doesn't seem fair. And the most logical reaction to that realization and frustration is to curl out your bottom lip, stamp your feet and have a good cry. Yes, I know we are supposed to be all grown up and MATURE when faced with the day to day things that add up to a less than ideal world. But don't you sometimes just wanna forget about being logical or sensible; don't you just wanna get mad for a little bit; don't you just wanna throw a tantrum and melt down? Sometimes I sure do. And the thing of it is, though we are told that crying won't change anything, it does. After I let myself have a good cry I'm usually tired, but it also cleans me out in some good ways. Those tears help get rid of a little bit of the annoyance, the frustration, the feeling that its all just SO unfair. And I can see things more clearly. Sorta like the way the world looks all sparkly after a rain shower.

So here's to meltdowns, and temper tantrums, and having a good cry. And here's to fresh starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment