Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fishin"


There was a time in my life when I really thought I didn't like fish. Mostly because the only fish usually available to a kid growing up in Texas was fried catfish - which, to my family's dismay, I still don't enjoy. But then I discovered all sorts of other kinds of fish - salmon, swordfish, tuna - and other ways to eat it - sushi, grilled, fish tacos! A whole world of seafood opened up to me. And just when I thought I couldn't appreciate it anymore I moved to the Pacific Northwest where fresh seafood abounds and where people do all sorts of cool stuff. Who knew you could smoke or can your own fish?!? Home-canned tuna is amazing. It is quite a process, but a friend of mine from the master food preserver class I took through our home extension office kindly hosts tuna canning days at her home each summer. This was the first year I could make it - and what a day! I am so excited to have all those little jars of yummy fish in my pantry to enjoy all winter long! Plus, we got to spend a day learning not only about canning fish, but about one another. I will remember those folks each time I open one of these precious little cans and enjoy locally caught, low mercury, super-yummy tuna!

No comments:

Post a Comment